A little bit about us
The Decision Lab is an applied research partner to the largest organizations in the world. Over the years, we’ve used the power of behavioral science to improve people’s lives by:
- Working with the Gates Foundation to improve educational outcomes for Black and Latinx communities in the US
- Helping the Government of Canada design & launch a mental health platform and iOS/Android app serving millions of Canadians
- Working with Starbucks to increase the use of reusable cups worldwide
- Helping McDonald’s improve childhood nutrition through targeted nudges
- Helping Capital One understand how stress impacts financial decisions and what can be done to prevent it
- … and much more.
Our model is end-to-end – our diverse team helps clients research, ideate, test, build, launch and scale solutions across a large number of industries.
We hire capable & friendly team members who are passionate about a wide variety of things – you can see just how wide of a variety here: https://thedecisionlab.com/our-team/. Because of the unique nature of what we do, we attract somewhat like-minded people who want to have a positive impact on the world but also have a healthy dose of skepticism about the status quo. Add to that our office in an old toy factory with a view of the canal, the best coffee in the city and a number of events (e.g. camping, bbq’s, offsites, etc.) year-round and you get an idea of why people stick around!
Why this role is important for TDL
The Decision Lab was started by Dan Pilat and Sekoul Krastev – serial entrepreneurs who left jobs in investment banking (BMO Capital Markets) and consulting (BCG & Google) and have since worked on a series of ventures for over 10 years.
The Venture Associate works with Dan & Sekoul on a daily basis across key functional areas of the organization – helping them to scale TDL but also helping on other nascent ventures as they evolve. We are looking for someone that wants to learn entrepreneurship across a number of sectors and enjoys a huge amount of variety in their work.
Why this role might be exciting for you
You will be able to play a critical role in executive decision making, learning about various types of entrepreneurship first-hand and working directly with Dan & Sekoul on problems across the organization as well as other ventures.
What you’ll be working on
- Ongoing administrative support such as; assisting with onboarding/offboarding activities for new and departing employees (user access, payroll onboarding, etc.)
- Perform research activities as directed by MDs to support ongoing projects, including side ventures
- HR support, including drafting offer letters, contracts for new hires, organizing events, posting job descriptions, screening resumes according to preset criteria, etc.
- Professional support, including preparation of minutes, reports and presentations frequently of a confidential, strategic and/or specialized nature
- Research and compile data for Managing Director as assigned
- Reach out to and manage external vendors and contractors
- Keeping office space clean & tidy – through an external cleaning vendor, with day-to-day care to ensure our space is optimized
- Other administrative and project duties as requested
- Producing reports that highlight key insights in user-friendly ways
- Represent the MDs with professionalism and confidence in both verbal and written communications, both inside and outside the firm
- Participate in the organization of events (on occasion) both internally and externally in collaboration with the various teams of the firm
- Coordinate travel arrangements
What we are looking for
We are looking for a smart, driven candidate that is interested in working closely with a tight-knit team of entrepreneurs and can quickly shift gears between tasks. Key attributes include:
- Experience: You’ve had some level of experience in a professional environment where you had to deliver results across very different areas under tight deadlines
- Analytic Rigor: You have an obsession with data – finding it, distilling it into valuable insights, presenting those insights and testing
- Design Thinking Mindset: You are able to move your ego aside and understand that the most successful solutions are not based on ideology but on a combination of empathy, pragmatism and evidence-based iteration
- Business Sense: You are a holistic, strategic thinker who constantly connects the dots between ideas, problems, organizations, and how ethical & sustained impact can be achieved; strong verbal & written skills are a must
- Flexibility: While a large majority of the work happens between 9-5 on weekdays, you need to have the flexibility to be responsive and sometimes carry out tasks beyond those hours, including weekends
- Culture: You are an independent thinker comfortable working in an often ambiguous and dynamic environment
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Decision Lab is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable law.
As a social enterprise, we have a deep-rooted belief that better decisions make a better world. However, improving decisions is a messy and difficult thing. For this reason, we have laid out a clear set of criteria for what constitutes good work. Our approach is inspired by many of the organizations and individuals we use as role models.
We believe that a good approach to creating social impact is SPICE: S*ocially conscious, Pragmatic, Inventive, Catalytic and E*vidence based. We use these criteria to evaluate ourselves, our work, the clients we choose to take on and the people we make part of our team. Read more about SPICE below:
We create positive and fair outcomes for individuals, organizations and societies.
The outcomes that societies want to achieve are constantly being discussed and revised, always a work in progress. They are not defined from the outset or from the outside. For these outcomes to be sustainable, they must integrate societal, environmental and economic dimensions.
We develop solutions that are practical, effective and attainable.
We are deeply committed to bringing our ideals to life. To do so, we let the problem be the guide for our attention. We are agnostic regarding approaches and dispassionate in our assessment of candidate solutions. This unwavering focus on the problem allows us to employ the full range of tools at our disposal, deploying the right ones for each context.
We develop solutions that are not constrained by the current reality.
When no existing solution is adequate to the problem at hand, we must move from curation to creation. Success in these contexts requires a commitment to exploration and an openness to inspiration.
We develop solutions that spark rapid transition to a new paradigm.
When we reach a tipping point, a small nudge sparks a change from one equilibrium state to another. By starting small and iterating quickly, we manage the change in a deliberate and responsible manner, ensuring that the catalytic reaction is positive when unleashed at scale. We can also help manage the journey to the tipping point, creating pre-conditions for catalytic projects to take off.
We develop solutions that use evidence as a compass.
We are deeply committed to using evidence to guide our actions. We build evidence in-house through robust experimentation, and integrate our findings into a wider body of knowledge, coming from many people and many places. This cohesive landscape of insights allows us to triangulate the best course of action.
About the role
- Salary: $50K – $70K CAD (including performance bonus)
- Work general takes place on-site at our sunny Saint-Henri office – we’re located 5 minutes from downtown, overlooking a canal, have the best coffee in the city and access to kayak & bike paths
To be considered, with your application please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your CV
- Cover letter describing why you’d be interested in this role and how it relates to your future goals