Join us on our mission to change the world through better decisions
A little bit about us
The Decision Lab is a socially-conscious applied research firm dedicated to creating social good by helping individuals, organizations and governments make better decisions. With over 1,500,000 online engagements per year, 20,000 newsletter subscribers, and over 60 contributors and staff writers, our audience is composed of thought leaders from a variety of industries. We provide consulting services to some of the largest organizations in the world, carry out research in priority areas and run one of the largest publications in applied behavioral science. In the past, we have helped organizations such as the Gates Foundation, Capital One and the World Bank solve some of their thorniest problems using scientific thinking.
Examples of the things we do
- Our collaboration with the World Bank – on incentive frameworks for knowledge sharing
- Our work with Capital One – a study we did on helping Americans undo the effects of stress on financial decisions
- Our insights – we are one of the largest publications in applied behavioral science
- Our biases – we provide resources for organizations to learn about behavioral science.
TDL was created with the vision of bridging the gap between behavioral science research and application. A core part of our mission is disseminating our ideas across various online platforms and ensuring that the right people see our message. Effective behavioral science interventions are often about getting the right people’s attention at the right time, which is a crucial part of this position. The social media specialist will communicate cutting-edge behavioral science content to our vast audience through various channels.
We are looking for an experienced, energetic social media specialist who is excited about communicating our content to a vast audience of experts, academics, and leaders in multiple fields. They will be tasked with planning and executing marketing campaigns, media relations, internal and external communications, and social media management in support of building TDL’s reputation and online presence. Baseline qualifications include:
- Native English speaker
- Expertise with a broad range of social media platforms including Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Tiktok, and Facebook, with a demonstrated ability to tailor messaging to fit the audience profile of each platform.
- Familiarity with behavioral economics concepts (biases, heuristics, frameworks) preferred
- Academic and/or work experience within the domain of behavioral science, economics, psychology, philosophy, or other related field preferred
- Exceptional copywriting ability and communication skills
About the Role
- Fully remote
- 15-20 hrs/week
- 15$ CAD/hr on a contractual basis
- Manage several social media accounts, including LinkedIn, Twitter, TikTok, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Design, execute, and iterate upon growth campaigns aimed at expanding our social media audience and improving engagement
- Set and communicate concrete goals and milestones to TDL management and provide strategic input that guides our overarching social media strategy
- Connect with, respond to, and initiate conversations with individuals and companies that show an interest in the behavioral science space.
- Audit and refine our current social media practices to identify opportunities where we can improve
- Direct social media campaigns on topics of interest to TDL, in tandem with larger publication projects.
- Lead, develop and implement social media strategy to support marketing initiatives and increase sales
- Leverage tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva, to produce new creative for our accounts
How to Apply
Email your CV and a one-page description of your strategic vision for our social media and three concrete steps you would take to improve it to email@example.com.
About The Decision Lab
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Decision Lab is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable law.
As a social enterprise, we have a deep-rooted belief that better decisions make a better world. However, improving decisions is a messy and difficult thing. For this reason, we have laid out a clear set of criteria for what constitutes good work. Our approach is inspired by many of the organizations and individuals we use as role models.
We believe that a good approach to creating social impact is SPICE: Socially conscious, Pragmatic, Inventive, Catalytic and Evidence based. We use these criteria to evaluate ourselves, our work, the clients we choose to take on and the people we make part of our team. Read more about SPICE below:
We create positive and fair outcomes for individuals, organizations, and societies.
The outcomes that societies want to achieve are constantly being discussed and revised, always a work in progress. They are not defined from the outset or from the outside. For these outcomes to be sustainable, they must integrate societal, environmental and economic dimensions.
We develop solutions that are practical, effective and attainable.
We are deeply committed to bringing our ideals to life. To do so, we let the problem be the guide for our attention. We are agnostic regarding approaches and dispassionate in our assessment of candidate solutions. This unwavering focus on the problem allows us to employ the full range of tools at our disposal, deploying the right ones for each context.
We develop solutions that are not constrained by the current reality.
When no existing solution is adequate to the problem at hand, we must move from curation to creation. Success in these contexts requires a commitment to exploration and an openness to inspiration.
We develop solutions that spark rapid transition to a new paradigm.
When we reach a tipping point, a small nudge sparks a change from one equilibrium state to another. By starting small and iterating quickly, we manage the change in a deliberate and responsible manner, ensuring that the catalytic reaction is positive when unleashed at scale. We can also help manage the journey to the tipping point, creating pre-conditions for catalytic projects to take off.
We develop solutions that use evidence as a compass.
We are deeply committed to using evidence to guide our actions. We build evidence in-house through robust experimentation, and integrate our findings into a wider body of knowledge, coming from many people and many places. This cohesive landscape of insights allows us to triangulate the best course of action.