A little bit about us
The Decision Lab is a socially-conscious applied research firm. We provide consulting services to some of the largest organizations in the world, carry out research in priority areas and run one of the largest publications in applied behavioral science. In the past, we have helped organizations such as the Gates Foundation, Capital One and the World Bank solve some of their thorniest problems using scientific thinking.
EXAMPLES OF THINGS WE DO
- Our collaboration with the World Bank – on incentive frameworks for knowledge sharing
- Our work with Capital One – a study we did on helping Americans undo the effects of stress on financial decisions.
- Our insights – we are one of the largest publications in applied behavioral science
- Our biases – we provide resources for organizations to learn about how behavioral science works
Why this role is important for TDL
We started The Decision Lab because we saw a fundamental gap between behavioral science theory and application. Our consultants are at the front line of bridging this gap. We are looking for experienced consultants to join our team at the Project Leader level. Qualified individuals will play a critical role in bringing forward-thinking solutions to our clients. Ideal candidates will have previous management consulting or project management experience and demonstrated leadership in growing client relationships, as well as in people and knowledge development.
We look for bright, capable and curious candidates with a good grasp of behavioral science concepts (from points of view that may include behavioral economics, psychology, neuroscience, sociology, etc.) who have a thirst for translating evidence into practical and valuable solutions.
Why this role is great for you
The Decision Lab is a place where you can learn to use evidence-based approaches to solve diverse & complex challenges. You will work alongside intelligent & free-thinking colleagues who lead with optimism, pragmatism and empathy. Rather than reusing the same behavior change frameworks, TDL develops custom solutions – this means that in addition to being evidence-based, your role will be fundamentally creative and you will have the opportunity to evolve and express your thinking in the work you do. Our team members help and empower each other and we have a rich set of tools and frameworks that you will be exposed to, but you will ultimately be responsible for your work – past hires tell us they are surprised to what extent they are able to take intellectual ownership of the projects they work on.
What you will work on
Project Leaders play a key role on client engagements – ensuring client needs are clearly defined, supervising activities throughout to ensure these needs are met, and maintaining alignment of expectations. Responsibilities typically include:
- Leading the day-to-day execution of a client project while guiding and developing individual team members (Associates and/or Consultants)
- Managing the client relationship and team work progress
- Taking ownership of the overall project and its end outputs / deliverables
- Overseeing the formulation of hypotheses for research and investigation
- Uncovering and challenging client assumptions, intuitions and prior knowledge
- Structuring research / experimentation plans and advanced analysis of data (though the actual analysis may be performed / supported by our data scientists)
- Applying knowledge of behavioral / decision science and business principles
- Developing realistic and actionable recommendations
- Preparing and delivering client presentations / reports that highlight key insights in user-friendly ways
- Providing status reports to senior TDL leadership, and overseeing project budget
- Playing a key role in the development and maintenance of high-level client relationships
- As needed, performing some of the tasks typically assigned to Associates / Consultants (e.g. analyzing and synthesizing qualitative and quantitative findings; conducting stakeholder interviews; etc.)
- Participating in project pitches
- Doing all of the above in varied project contexts that may include topics ranging from relatively isolated research questions to cultural diagnostics, pricing optimization or behavioral product development
- Possibility of collaborating with the content team to support publication efforts
What we are looking for
We are looking for a candidate with professional experience in management consulting, behavioral science or psychology, including demonstrated ability leading a project or team. Key attributes of the ideal candidate include:
- Experience: 3+ years of consulting experience (incl. 1+ years as a team lead) in a top management consulting firm or in a boutique firm at the intersection between strategy, psychology & consulting with demonstrated repeated successes in connecting these worlds; familiarity with behavioral science concepts is a plus
- Client Engagement: You have proven ability to manage client engagements & relationships and are often seen as a thought leader; you own responsibility for the quality of engagements; and your strong management and communication skills give you the ability to bring together stakeholders and persuade action
- Analytic Rigor: You have a high capacity for conceptual thinking and an ability to develop leading edge frameworks for analysis that incorporate a variety of disciplines, but are also able to communicate complex ideas effectively; good grasp of qualitative and quantitative methods, experimental design and statistics is a plus
- Design Thinking Mindset: You are able to move your ego aside and understand that the most successful solutions are not based on ideology but on a combination of empathy, pragmatism and evidence-based iteration
- Business Sense: You are a holistic, strategic thinker who constantly connects the dots between ideas, problems, organizations, and how ethical & sustained impact can be achieved; strong verbal & written skills are a must
- Culture: You are an independent thinker comfortable working in an often ambiguous and dynamic environment; you are eager to take initiative and to break new ground
About the role
- Salary: $70K – $105K CAD (base salary of $70K CAD + performance bonus of up to 50%) plus additional compensation potential via contributions to business development efforts and participation in organizational success bonus (total compensation under reasonable assumptions could reach $125K+ CAD in your first year)
- Work general takes place on-site at our sunny Saint-Henri office – we’re located 5 minutes from downtown Montreal, overlooking a canal, have the best coffee in the city and access to kayak & bike paths
- Possibility of remote work until COVID-19 situation is resolved (or on a permanent basis if required for the right candidate)
Do you feel like this role is right for you? If so, please send us your CV, cover letter and an example of a past project you are proud of – to help us understand why this would be a good fit. You can send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More About The Decision Lab
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Decision Lab is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable law.
As a social enterprise, we have a deep-rooted belief that better decisions make a better world. However, improving decisions is a messy and difficult thing. For this reason, we have laid out a clear set of criteria for what constitutes good work. Our approach is inspired by many of the organizations and individuals we use as role models.
We believe that a good approach to creating social impact is SPICE: Socially conscious, Pragmatic, Inventive, Catalytic and Evidence based. We use these criteria to evaluate ourselves, our work, the clients we choose to take on and the people we make part of our team. Read more about SPICE below:
We create positive and fair outcomes for individuals, organizations and societies.
The outcomes that societies want to achieve are constantly being discussed and revised, always a work in progress. They are not defined from the outset or from the outside. For these outcomes to be sustainable, they must integrate societal, environmental and economic dimensions.
We develop solutions that are practical, effective and attainable.
We are deeply committed to bringing our ideals to life. To do so, we let the problem be the guide for our attention. We are agnostic regarding approaches and dispassionate in our assessment of candidate solutions. This unwavering focus on the problem allows us to employ the full range of tools at our disposal, deploying the right ones for each context.
We develop solutions that are not constrained by the current reality.
When no existing solution is adequate to the problem at hand, we must move from curation to creation. Success in these contexts requires a commitment to exploration and an openness to inspiration.
We develop solutions that spark rapid transition to a new paradigm.
When we reach a tipping point, a small nudge sparks a change from one equilibrium state to another. By starting small and iterating quickly, we manage the change in a deliberate and responsible manner, ensuring that the catalytic reaction is positive when unleashed at scale. We can also help manage the journey to the tipping point, creating pre-conditions for catalytic projects to take off.
We develop solutions that use evidence as a compass.
We are deeply committed to using evidence to guide our actions. We build evidence in-house through robust experimentation, and integrate our findings into a wider body of knowledge, coming from many people and many places. This cohesive landscape of insights allows us to triangulate the best course of action.