A little bit about us
The Decision Lab is a socially-conscious applied research firm. We provide consulting services to some of the largest organizations in the world, carry out research in priority areas and run one of the largest publications in applied behavioral science. In the past, we have helped organizations such as the Gates Foundation, Capital One and the World Bank solve some of their thorniest problems using scientific thinking.
EXAMPLES OF THINGS WE DO
- Our collaboration with the World Bank – on incentive frameworks for knowledge sharing
- Our work with Capital One – a study we did on helping Americans undo the effects of stress on financial decisions.
- Our insights – we are one of the largest publications in applied behavioral science
- Ourbiases – we provide resources for organizations to learn about how behavioral science works
Why this role is important for TDL
We started The Decision Lab because we saw a fundamental gap between behavioral science theory and application. The Consultant (Product Management) is at the front line of bridging this gap. This means that we look for bright, capable and curious candidates with a strong grasp of behavioral science concepts (from the point of view of behavioral economics, psychology, neuroscience, sociology, etc.) who have a thirst for translating evidence (be it desk research, experiments or analytics) into product features.
As a Consultant (Product Management), you will have to understand the needs of users and orchestrate the delivery of impactful initiatives that help maximize our impact. You will interface directly with users and other stakeholders to understand their needs and translate that into a refined backlog of user stories. You will work closely with our cross-functional teams to deliver the best solution in an agile environment.
Why this role is great for you
The Decision Lab is a place where you can learn to use evidence-based approaches to solve diverse & complex challenges. You will work alongside intelligent & free-thinking colleagues who lead with optimism, pragmatism and empathy. Rather than reusing the same behavior change frameworks, TDL develops custom solutions – this means that in addition to being evidence-based, your role will be fundamentally creative and you will have the opportunity to evolve and express your thinking in the work you do. Our team members help and empower each other and we have a rich set of tools and frameworks that you will be exposed to, but you will ultimately be responsible for your work – past hires tell us they are surprised to what extent they are able to take intellectual ownership of the projects they work on.
What you will work on
An Consultant (Product Management) will play a key role on both client engagements and internal initiatives – supervising activities to ensure client needs are met, maintaining alignment of expectations, and furthering the development of our own digital platform and content goals. Responsibilities typically include:
- Leverage behavioral science to define clear user stories and acceptance criteria around client user needs
- Use tools such as Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD to translate product features into wireframes
- Work with external designers to translate the wireframes into mockups, accompanied by functional specifications
- Create and maintain product backlogs, based on product objectives, timeline constraints and user requirements.
- Work with other stakeholders to understand strategic objectives and help develop the product roadmap.
- Translate the strategic roadmap into clear product and sprint goals.
- Make high quality product decisions by leveraging qualitative and quantitative feedback from users and working with the dev team to inform the best solution.
- Build trust and work collaboratively with the scrum team to deliver on the sprint goal, helping manage the sprint backlog, making effective product decisions and interfacing with external dependencies as required.
- Coordinate and prepare communication around major feature releases to ensure that our users are aware and engaged with new features being developed.
- Form strong empathy for our users and become a product expert on the solutions we’re delivering in the market.
What we are looking for
We are looking for a candidate with interest in product management and consulting. Key attributes of the ideal candidate include:
- Experience: you have 1+ years experience sitting at the intersection between strategy, design, UX, development and marketing aspects of digital products and have demonstrated repeated successes in connecting these worlds to launch successful products.
- Communication: You’re a natural communicator who can interface directly with the customer and collaborate with a cross-functional team of developers, designers, QA, Customer Success, executive team, etc.
- Design Thinking: you are able to move your ego aside and understand that the most successful solutions are not based on ideology but on a combination of empathy, pragmatism and evidence-based iteration.
- Research Focus: you have an obsession with data – this means tapping into existing research (including resources such as peer-reviewed studies on Google Scholar) as well as setting up proper data instrumentation to track desired behaviors related to the product’s goals.
- User Journey Focus: you have a deep understanding of user personas, customer journey mapping and applying behavioral science to make both of these more evidence-based
- Engineering Mindset: you have an engineering mindset – focused on application rather than theory and eager to dive into tinkering, creating, testing and reiterating solutions.
- Experimentation Rigor: you are keen on using rigorous testing to decide what the right course of action is rather than relying on intuition.
- Deep Expertise: you bring deep expertise in various aspects of product management, with at least a few significant product launches under your belt.
- Business Sense: you are a holistic, strategic thinker. You constantly connect the dots between ideas, problems, organizations – and how ethical & sustained impact can be achieved.
- Culture: you are comfortable working in an ambiguous and dynamic environment and comfortable with non-hierarchical organizations.
About the role
- Type: Both permanent and contractual positions available
- Salary: $45K – $85K CAD (including performance bonus)
- Work will take place on-site at our sunny Saint-Henri office – we’re located 5 minutes from downtown, overlooking a canal, have the best coffee in the city & access to kayak & bike paths
- Possibility of remote work until Covid-19 situation is resolved
- Candidate must be able to work in Canada (Canadian citizens, or have or are able to obtain a work permit to work in Canada – e.g. management consultants with US citizenship can obtain a TN visa)
Do you feel like this role is right for you? If so, please send us your CV, cover letter and an example of a past project you are proud of that clearly demonstrates at least 3 of the attributes in the “What we are looking for section”. You can send your application to email@example.com.
More About The Decision Lab
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Decision Lab is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable law.
As a social enterprise, we have a deep-rooted belief that better decisions make a better world. However, improving decisions is a messy and difficult thing. For this reason, we have laid out a clear set of criteria for what constitutes good work. Our approach is inspired by many of the organizations and individuals we use as role models.
We believe that a good approach to creating social impact is SPICE: Socially conscious, Pragmatic, Inventive, Catalytic and Evidence based. We use these criteria to evaluate ourselves, our work, the clients we choose to take on and the people we make part of our team. Read more about SPICE below:
We create positive and fair outcomes for individuals, organizations and societies.
The outcomes that societies want to achieve are constantly being discussed and revised, always a work in progress. They are not defined from the outset or from the outside. For these outcomes to be sustainable, they must integrate societal, environmental and economic dimensions.
We develop solutions that are practical, effective and attainable.
We are deeply committed to bringing our ideals to life. To do so, we let the problem be the guide for our attention. We are agnostic regarding approaches and dispassionate in our assessment of candidate solutions. This unwavering focus on the problem allows us to employ the full range of tools at our disposal, deploying the right ones for each context.
We develop solutions that are not constrained by the current reality.
When no existing solution is adequate to the problem at hand, we must move from curation to creation. Success in these contexts requires a commitment to exploration and an openness to inspiration.
We develop solutions that spark rapid transition to a new paradigm.
When we reach a tipping point, a small nudge sparks a change from one equilibrium state to another. By starting small and iterating quickly, we manage the change in a deliberate and responsible manner, ensuring that the catalytic reaction is positive when unleashed at scale. We can also help manage the journey to the tipping point, creating pre-conditions for catalytic projects to take off.
We develop solutions that use evidence as a compass.
We are deeply committed to using evidence to guide our actions. We build evidence in-house through robust experimentation, and integrate our findings into a wider body of knowledge, coming from many people and many places. This cohesive landscape of insights allows us to triangulate the best course of action.