Join us on our mission to change the world through better decisions
A little bit about us
The Decision Lab is a behavioral science consultancy dedicated to creating social good by helping individuals, organizations and governments make better decisions. Through research, analysis and product design, we help organizations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Capital One and the World Bank solve thorny problems and build impactful evidence-based digital products.
Why this role is important for TDL
We started The Decision Lab because we saw a fundamental gap between behavioral science theory and application. The behavioral product manager role is at the front line of bridging this gap. This means that we look for bright, capable and curious candidates with a strong grasp of behavioral science concepts (from the point of view of behavioral economics, psychology, neuroscience, sociology, etc.) who have a thirst for translating evidence (be it desk research, experiments or analytics) into product features.
As a behavioral product manager, you will work on exciting and impactful projects from day one. You will collaborate with our team of directors, designers and researchers to create and improve products for some of the largest organizations in the world. In many cases, this means collaborating with clients to understand and diagnose product issues, translate them into behavioral terms, identify potential solutions and then build roadmaps to test and implement them.
Why this role is great for you
The Decision Lab is a place where you can learn to use evidence-based approaches to solve diverse & complex challenges. You will work alongside intelligent & free-thinking colleagues who lead with optimism, pragmatism and empathy. Rather than reusing the same behavior change frameworks, TDL develops custom solutions – this means that in addition to being evidence-based, your role will be fundamentally creative and you will have the opportunity to evolve and express your thinking in the work you do. Our team helps and empowers each other and we have a rich set of tools and frameworks that you will be exposed to, but you will ultimately be responsible for your work – past hires tell us they are surprised to what extent they are able to take intellectual ownership of the projects they work on.
Examples of the things we do
- Our collaboration with the World Bank – on incentive frameworks for knowledge sharing
- Our work with Capital One – a study we did on helping Americans undo the effects of stress on financial decisions.
- Our insights – we are one of the largest publications in applied behavioral science
- Our biases – we provide resources for organizations to learn about how behavioral science
What you’ll be working on
- Understand and validate the needs of client and users and translate them into product specifications
- Interface with other team members (Research Director, Managing Directors, Consultants) and external contractors (designers, developers) to guide the creation of the product based on the specifications;
- Apply behavioral science to identify key barriers and drivers of desired user behaviors
- Identify clear and measurable metrics to track the success of the product
- Based on behavioral science frameworks and research, develop a deep understanding of customer experience, identify and fill product gaps and generate new ideas that grow market share, improve customer experience and drive growth
- Create buy-in for the product vision both internally and with key client stakeholders
- Develop product positioning strategies based on evidence gathered through desk research, surveys and product testing
- Translate product strategy into specific KPIs, then develop tracking methodology to closely monitor and improve on these KPIs through the sustained use of behavioral strategies
- Scope and prioritize product features and activities based on their alignment with evidence gathered and projected impact
- Evaluate promotional plans to ensure that they are consistent with product line strategy and that the message is effectively conveyed
- Act as a product evangelist to build awareness and understanding
What we are looking for
We are looking for a candidate with at least 3+ years of professional experience in product management or a related field. The ideal candidate will be passionate about the behavioral sciences and genuinely curious about how they can be applied to create impact through digital products. Key attributes of the ideal candidate include:
- Experience: you have 3+ years experience sitting at the intersection between strategy, design, UX, development and marketing aspects of digital products and have demonstrated repeated successes in connecting these worlds to launch successful products.
- Design Thinking: you are able to move your ego aside and understand that the most successful solutions are not based on ideology but on a combination of empathy, pragmatism and evidence-based iteration.
- Research Focus: you have an obsession with data – this means tapping into existing research (including resources such as peer-reviewed studies on Google Scholar) as well as setting up proper data instrumentation to track desired behaviors related to the product’s goals.
- User Journey Focus: you have a deep understanding of user personas, customer journey mapping and applying behavioral science to make both of these more evidence-based
- Engineering Mindset: you have an engineering mindset – focused on application rather than theory and eager to dive into tinkering, creating, testing and reiterating solutions.
- Experimentation Rigor: you are keen on using rigorous testing to decide what the right course of action is rather than relying on intuition.
- Deep Expertise: you bring deep expertise in various aspects of product management, with at least a few significant product launches under your belt.
- Business Sense: you are a holistic, strategic thinker. You constantly connect the dots between ideas, problems, organizations – and how ethical & sustained impact can be achieved.
- Culture: you are comfortable working in an ambiguous and dynamic environment and comfortable with non-hierarchical organizations.
About the role
- Permanent position
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Work will take place on-site at our sunny Saint-Henri office – we’re located 5 minutes from downtown, overlooking a canal, have the best coffee in the city & access to kayak & bike paths
- Possibility of remote work until Covid-19 situation is resolved
- Candidate must be able to work in Canada (Canadian citizens, or have or are able to obtain a work permit to work in Canada – e.g. management consultants with US citizenship can obtain a TN visa)
Do you feel like this role is right for you? If so, please send us your CV, cover letter and an example of a past project you are proud of – to help us understand why this would be a good fit. You can send your application to email@example.com.